Sunday, January 3, 2010

Pepa Brown

A visit a couple of years ago on the porch of his home.
My favorite picture of him - this is the smile / face I always think of when I picture him.
Pepa with the girls.
First meeting Kinsley
I can't imagine what it must be like to switch from the child role to the parent role for your own parent. My dad's father, Pepa Brown, has not been doing well for some time now. A couple of weeks before Christmas, I decided I needed to try to go visit since I didn't think I would get a chance to until after the holidays. The girls ended up being sick, so I made the trip alone. What a blessing. It was one of those days I probably will never forget. I went to the nursing home, not really knowing what to expect from him. Would he recognize me , be up for a visitor, be having a good day? It was the best of my expectations. We had such a great visit and I was able to send a couple of hours just sitting with him, talking to him, holding his hands, and spending quality time with this man who means so much to me. It reminded me of those times, back when I was in middle school and high school. I would go spend a few days with him during the summer. He worked at my uncle's station, opening the store at 3:30 or 4:00 am. I always wanted to go with him. Of course, no one else in the entire town was awake at that time, so it was just us. It was great.
He has more rough days than good days, and my poor dad (and aunt and uncle) have had such a trying time dealing with the situation. Please keep them in your prayers during this difficult time. I pray for Pepa to be released of his pain and suffering. This is no quality of life for such a great man, and so difficult for his children. He will be greatly missed, but will be reunited with his wife that passed away so many years ago. Plus, he will always live in the memories of his three younger generations.
This post is more for me than anyone else, I know. I guess I just wanted to honor him for a few minutes and post some of my favorite pictures of him.

No comments: