Sunday, January 3, 2010

Wow

This weekend, our church did a series about Baptism. I know this is a tricky issue for so many people because no one ever wants to hear anyone disagree of their own beliefs and upbringing. It was a good series, though, that looked at how the Bible views baptism. For the first time since we have been at Northeast, there was an invitation at the end of the service for people to come and make the decision to be baptized. 112 people later . . .
I attended the service where 12 people were baptized and it was emotional. I always get emotional at baptisms because of the meaning and significance. But to see so many make the decision was overwhelming and incredible. Ronnie and I both agree it makes us proud to be Christians and to be a part of somewhere where God is truly impacting peoples' lives. This isn't the first church where we have had this feeling, but it isn't about a particular church - it is about seeing how God makes a difference in the lives of people.
I can personally look back and see lots of times in my life where God has blessed me, and also times where I have had major heartache and disappointment. It isn't that God wasn't there in those times, but just life sometimes brings those times. In particular for me, the miscarriage was really tough. However, God brings good in all situations. Just a few months later, Ella was beginning to grow. That is just one example.
I have learned that God doesn't cause bad things to "punish or teach", but brings good out of just the junk of the world. So to see so many at once, this weekend, who publicly say, "I will trust God, be obedient, and try to live a life that honors Him", was amazing. It isn't that these people have it all figured out, but that they believe in God, His promise of Heaven to those who serve Him, and choose to be obedient - not perfect.

No comments: