Friday, October 30, 2009

Traditions





I'm sure Ronnie has lots of traditions and memories of things he did growing up. But let's be honest - I am the one who writes on the blog, so usually when I say "traditions from growing up", I am referring to the Brown household!:)
So, I remember carving pumpkins and roasting the seeds and special Halloween treats! Ella absolutely loves crafty things, cooking in the kitchen, and any type of holiday activity, so we have been doing lots of that sort of stuff around our house these days. We made ghost cookies (nutter butters dipped in white chocolate with mini chip eyes), and ghost suckers for her playgroup friends. We made caramel corn (thanks to our dear friend Kendra's fantastic recipe), pumpkin cookies, and have visited the pumpkin patch a couple of times. The numerous pumpkin crafts adorning our fridge have turned our kitchen into an orange themed room!
So, when Ella mentioned earlier this week, "Don't forget mom. We still need to carve our pumpkin!", the comment exhausted me!!:) I thought maybe we could just let our little pumpkin ride through the holiday straight to Thanksgiving for a festive porch. No such luck with my little girl already engrained with the attachment to yearly traditions! So, this week, we carved pumpkins. When I say we, I really mean that I cut off the bottom, scooped out the insides, printed off the pattern (which ended up being way too difficult so we went with the old triangle face standard!), and eventually finished up Mr. and Mrs. Pumpkin when Ronnie and Ella watched a Halloween show on the couch. All this in the midst of roasting pumpkin seeds for probably no one in this house because I'm not sure any of us like them. But hey, it's tradition!!:)And to all the moms reading this blog, make sure you notice who is actually in the picture with the pumpkins. Ronnie and I laughed about how moms are so involved in the process, then always behind the camera!
So to my mother, thank you for passing along the attachment to yearly traditions to me, which I have passed along to Ella. It is a little bit of a love / hate relationship, but I am thankful that she loves the simple things. She makes everything fun. (And an apology for never realizing how much work those "simple traditions" could be!!!)
Our playgroup had a Halloween party this morning. Ella, the purple fairy princess, loves showing off her costume. Kinsley, the curious cat, not so much. . .

No comments: